Goals, research and methodology.
Goals, Antigoals and Methods
Prioritize showing user's entire audience as “Contacts,” rather than Subscribers alone
Refer to "Contacts" when generically talking about a person in the audience
"Subscriber" is reserved for email marketing permissions of the contact, while "Recipients" is referring to the specific contacts who are receiving an email campaign
Muddying the user’s understanding that Subscribers is a subset of Contacts
Confusing the user with terms likes “non-subscribers” etc.
Leveraging our partners and their research: Audience Management Team
Drive engagement with Contact pages (tracking Sort and Filter)
Long term: drive comprehension (and engagement) of Mailchimp’s greater marketing platform capabilities
Audience Overview Testing (60 min remote Interviews with 3 Users; Oct. 2018)
There is ambiguity around numbers and terminology specifically total number of subscribers vs. total number of contacts
What does “Not Subscribed” mean?
Audience Manager Beta User Feedback Report (Nov. 2018-on)
Not sure what difference is between contact and subscriber. I searched for it in Help but couldn't see any helpful result. I am assuming that contacts will include unsubscribed and cleaned?? (Usabilla feedback)
I don’t understand how you can have a contact that is not subscribed. You either subscribe or you’re not in our list.
Insights and how we applied them.
The Research Revealed
Our terminology is unclear
Contacts vs. Subscribers?
What are the contacts that aren’t subscribed?
What can I do with them?
Numbers are useful, but not always enough
User Needs and Requirements
As a Mailchimp customer who uses my mobile device to manage my full audience, I want to be able to understand the nuances between all the types of contacts I interact with, so that I can begin to learn how to reach them best. I want to be able to see:
The relationship between Contacts and Subscribers
The nuances between the various contact types
Artifacts and Solutions
Content Strategy and Engineering (iOS and Android) completed a full audit of our mobile app to find usages of Recipient, Contact, Subscriber and People. We found:
Many of these instances could be fixed broadly in the code, but the Homepage and Audience Overview needed reworking
Sometimes the Subscriber count was actually referring to All Contacts; accuracy and consistency is key with our new pricing model
First Pass: Just add Subscribed!
At first pass, it seemed we could simply add “All Contacts” into the mix and our users would get it… but as we referenced back to our research, this was not enough to communicate the relationship between Subscribers and Contacts.
What about viewing your Subscribers?
When tapping into Subscribers on the Audience Overview, iOS offers no way to parse between types of people in one’s Audience. We leave the user in the dark in terms of all their other Contacts.
Android, on the other hand, leaves out Subscribed entirely in its tabbed approach. Both platforms are not only lacking parity, and they are further attributing to confusion for our users around their Audience.
Through various iterations, I landed on a horizontal format of X Subscribed of X Contacts, which aligns closely with Web. In addition, I proposed building out detailed Contact Pages, which provide context to our users via a numeric count and description. Finally, Search, Filter and Sort functionality allows our users to dive more deeply into the various Contact types, which complements our Contact Profile effort.
Getting it built
Phase 1: MVP
This sprint, we prioritized introducing X Subscribed of X Contacts on the Homepage and Audience Overview. Building out Contact pages, however, are completely new to both Android and iOS and will come with the next sprint cycle
For now, we’ve updated the Android Contact page tab to accurately read “Subscribed” instead of “Contacts”
Phase 2: Added Functionality
Building out Contact pages
Improved search functionality
Testing to see if users want additional sorting capabilities
Adding count to contact filtering
Homepage and Audience Overview redesign